Saturday 2nd December 2017 marked Small Business Saturday’s 5th birthday in the UK, and local authorities, small business organisations and the public offered huge support, reaffirming its importance as a key day for retailers in the run up to Christmas.
In a recent article by smallbusiness.co.uk, Michelle Ovens MBE, campaign director of Small Business Saturday says:
‘In its fifth year, Small Business Saturday has once again seen a boost in spending with Britain’s small independent businesses. There’s been a phenomenal response from small businesses in communities across the UK again this year so it’s fantastic that a record amount was spent with them this Small Business Saturday.’
Let’s take a look at some of the key highlights from the American Express commissioned survey:
- An estimated £748 million was spent with small businesses across the UK on the day. This was an increase of 4% on Small Business Saturday last year.
- Over 115,000 #SmallBizSatUK tweets were sent on the day itself reaching more than 115 million people.
- #SmallBizSatUK trended at number one in the UK.
- More than 250 small business organisations supported the nationwide initiative, including the Federation of Small Businesses and Enterprise Nation.
Overall, it was a nationwide effort with the public, local authorities and small businesses working together to promote our small businesses across the country.
- Towns offered free public parking on the day with local authority backing up from 80% in 2016 to 87% this year.
- Small businesses clubbed together to host events in their areas, whilst the Small Business Saturday UK bus tour made its way around the UK.
- The public spent big too with 56% of shoppers aware of the day saying they spent more than usual.
Spend with small businesses on Small Business Saturday reaches an all time high! £748mil spent at small biz on Sat 2nd Dec, up again on 2016 (thanks to @AmexUK for the research) Thanks to all customers, businesses and supporters who continue to support these fantastic businesses! pic.twitter.com/dRLm5l98hj
— SmallBizSatUK (@SmallBizSatUK) December 7, 2017
— UK Prime Minister (@Number10gov) December 2, 2017
Small businesses are crucial to London’s economy, character and diversity – make sure you go out and support a local small business today for #SmallBizSatUK https://t.co/UCPHfNeJzM pic.twitter.com/Nt3BZez4WV
— Mayor of London (@MayorofLondon) December 2, 2017